Saturday, 10 October 2015

Las Vegas - Walking the Strip

We woke to stormy and rainy weather.  It rarely rains in Vegas and it seems we once again brought the rain with us!  Thank goodness I had checked the weather prior to arriving and rescheduled our helicopter flight to the canyon! With the wave pool out, we decided that we should walk the strip.  People often wonder whether Vegas is for kids – and in the day, it absolutely is.  At night though it’s a different story and we decided we wouldn’t be taking the kids out on the strip at night on this trip. 

The kids didn’t want to come down for breakfast so Terry and I went to the Four Season’s Verandah restaurant for breaky in peace!  The service is impeccable and the food superb.  The waiters ask,  ‘Is everything to your request Mrs Marlborough?’ Ahhh, yes it is! We sure love the good life - people opening doors for us, pulling out our chairs, cleaning our room, fresh towels and sheets every day, toilet paper in a little triangle and the Four Seasons ‘soapy smell’ as James calls it.  I haven’t cooked or washed up in nearly a month – let’s just say it’s going to be a shock to the system when I get home!  

We took the elevator down to the Mandalay Casino level so we could the take the tram to the strip.  ‘How'sitgoinmate?’ says Terry to fellow guests in the lift as we go down 37 floors.  People understand ‘Australian’ here.  Many, many times we have to repeat what we say.  I didn't realise how much we drop the 'r' when we talk.

It was raining as we started out walk although a lot of the time you have to walk through casinos so the rain didn’t really bother us.

We went to New York, New York and visited Hershey’s World.  James couldn’t contain himself – levels of chocolate and lollies, cakes and brownies.  There was so much to choose from however he settled on Blue Raspberry Hard Rock Candy and Chocolate Cream Brownie Sandwich.  There were various Statue of Liberties made of chocolate, jelly belly and licorice. 

We then went to M&M’s world and this time Will was in heaven.  Four levels of M&M merchandise and every kind of M&M you could imagine.  Will settled in mini M&M’s.

We continued our walk through the Bellagio and stopped for coffee and cake at Jean Phillipe.  The cakes were unbelievable and we just HAD to buy one even though we haven’t been hungry in weeks. 

We walked for hours that day and the highlight was definitely Caesar’s Palace.  We felt like we were actually in Rome.  It is such a massive complex and the ceilings were painted like it was the sky. 


Terry and the kids were exhausted however we pushed on to the last few casinos before we caught a cab back to our resort.  Terry joined me for a quick flutter before deciding on room service with the kids. Left on my own to explore the casino, I tracked down the roulette tables.  The table had a minimum bet of $15.  I’m thinking $15 a chip – no way!  I then saw the electronic roulette tables which was $1.  Yep, that’s better!  The casinos are always an eye opener – anything goes and plenty of ‘just married’ couples.  I played the slots and roulette for hours - no real luck that night - but I had so fun trying!  I love Las Vegas!!


The wave pool


Stormy in LV


Kids can't wait to get in



MGM


Hershey's World


So many choices!


Finally chose the Chocolate & Cream Brownie Sandwich


Dudes walking the Strip


The Cosmopolitan


Can't we stay another week?


Bellagio fall display




Will has always loved a wheel!


Jean Phillipe chocolate fountian


Incredible desserts



Bellagio baby!


Caesar's Palace



Can't we go back to the hotel??


This area would flood later in the afternoon


The Venetian


Cab ride back to Mandalay - too much to walk back!

No comments:

Post a Comment