We left around 9am for our long drive from Keystone to Denver. The driving time was 6 hours without breaks and we had to meet a 6:45pm flight. We filled up at a gas station just before we left. Inside it was a taxidermists dream - heads of every type of animal you could imagine were hung on the walls. I found it a little spooky.
We were in prairie country and we saw lots of shooters on our way. I also spotted my first Prolong! I then saw some prolong digging up and eating the crops. I guess that's why the men were shooting? Even though the drive wasn't as scenic as some of the drives - I kept saying to Terry, 'Can you believe we are in the USA!' We have been so lucky to have been away for nearly a month and I am treasuring every moment. Unbelievably we managed to find fantastic coffee in a small town called Torrington. I have drank a fraction of the coffee I usually do - as it is rare to find a coffee made on milk.
We arrived into Denver around 4:30pm and we were lucky that we did. We had to drop our car off at Avis and we had never seen so many rental cars in our life. The rental return was so large it wasn't right at the airport. We were then loaded into a shuttle and taken to the airport. Denver Airport was huge and security was really tight (which we all like!) Will decided he would go in a different line at security - he has become a very independent and confident traveller. As he is over 12 he had to have a full scan and take off his shoes - he was pretty chuffed at that.
The flight to Vegas was just over 1.5 hours. Looking out the windows of the plane at night, you can see how big Vegas really is. As we entered the airport we were met with poker machines everywhere. James was really funny and was saying so many amusing comments. 'We're in Vegas baby!' and 'City of dreams, winners...and mainly losers' he was saying as he sauntered along.
We finally sorted out our car - the only hitch we've had on the trip. We realised the car I had booked wasn't going to hold all of our luggage. We ended up with some HUGE car (I don't even know what it is) but it is as big as a truck. The only big drive ahead of us is to LA so fuel won't be an issue. Terry and the kids were stoked!
We then drove to our hotel - our luxury stay on our trip. 'Welcome back to the Four Seasons Mr and Mrs Marlborough', music to my ears! In my opinion, there are not many hotels that do it as well as Four Seasons. We arrived in our strip view room and found all the little treats that make you feel very special. Root beer and popcorn for the kids and a letter and fancy dessert for 'Mrs Belinda Marlborough to celebrate your 40th birthday'. We were running from room to room checking out our huge suite and looking at the strip out of the window. The kids have their own huge room - the suite really is the size of an apartment. Room service for the kids and Terry and I had a quick drink down at the casino to celebrate our arrival. We were laughing at the kids and all the comments they were coming out with - they do five star so well. I wonder how they will go when they go backpacking one day?
Mum - On the drive out of nowhere Will starts to say, 'Nana, oh Nana, where in the world is my Nana?' He is REALLY starting to miss you as we all are too.
Most of our drive today looked like this
Terry spots Prolong for wildlife Bel
Will has a snooze holding the treasured webcam he bought at the mall.
And then he is full of beans again!
Welcome to Las Vegas!
Still celebrating my 40th - Four Seasons style
Want a schooey? - asks James. (Root beer!)
This is the life - room service









Missing you guys too. From the looks of it Will will soon be as tall as me. Nana
ReplyDeleteMum, Will will be towering over you when you see him! xxx
ReplyDelete