Saturday, 22 June 2013

A bit more Brussels then back to London

I stayed up late last night and finally saw the dark - about 11pm.  I am actually missing the dark.  We go to bed in the light and wake up in the light - it is just unusual.  Anyway, I looked out of my window at the 'Amigo Hotel' and saw the most magnificent sight I've ever seen - the town hall in the Grand Place was all lit up and was changing colours.  Simply breathtaking!

This morning we had breakfast - yes more cheese, salami and the best waffles and coffee I have ever tasted.  In Brussels it is quite acceptable to have sugar bread and cake for breakfast - this is the place for me!  We then set off to find the Antique Markets and the Royal Palace.  All the footpaths and roads are cobblestones and you kind of forget and find yourself drifting onto the road - not good!

We then went back to the shops around the Grand Place and bought some lace and Terry and I bought a couple of hats and caps.   We then had a few more chocies before heading to Midi Station to go on the Eurostar back to London.  I found it a bit hard with the language - just uncomfortable in the beginning as you kind of feel a bit rude for not being able to speak the language which was French - or Dutch once you leave Brussels and go into Ghent & Bruges - but you kind of get used to it.  The kids mastered 'merci' and 'merci beacoo' and it an experience they will never forget.  Now that we are back in London it kind of feels easy again.

Tonight we had dinner again at the Grazing Goat - our new local.  We booked a table for tomorrow night as it is Sunday Roast Day where you get a whole roast to share with yorkshire pudding and roast vegetables.  Even though we have eaten there twice they are famous for Sunday Roast Day.  I booked the table and the guy asked for our name for the reservation.  'Marlborough, as in the Duke of Marlborough' I said.  'Really?', he asked,  I said 'Yes, related to the Duke of Marlborough but one of our relatives stole a horse and ended up in Australia'.

All buggered - early night.


The view out of my hotel window



Looking for the markets



Royal Palace


One last beer



Lace shop


 Back to London on the Eurostar.


No comments:

Post a Comment