We left London on the Eurostar (travelling at 300km/hour) and in less than two hours we arrived into Midi Station in Brussels. The weather forecast was rain for two days so I was really hoping we wouldn't get completely drenched. We arrived at the hotel, unpacked and headed straight to the 'Grand Place' which is about 50m from our hotel. Right on cue, the rain dried up, the clouds parted and the sun came out. Brilliant.
Then it was on - James & Mum wanting chocolate, Will wanting strawberries, I wanted a waffle, Terry & Phil searching for a beer! We spent the rest of the afternoon in a crazed frenzy trying as much food - and drinks - as we could - it was a lot of fun playing tourists.
Woke this morning for breakfast - cheese and salami woo hoo - then the private guide we had booked picked us up to take us to Ghent and Bruges for the day. Sarah was like a walking encyclopaedia - Terry was certain she was the reason why we didn't have them anymore! She could out talk me - yes really - and told us about this and that and that and this and this century and that century, who walked where, sold this, caught what - it was just a little too much for us (can you imagine the kids?) although Mum loved it. We have worked out that too much history isn't for us!
We were certain when Sarah put us on a boat tour in the early afternoon and waved us goodbye that she wasn't going to come back for us - but she did. Mum and I were in hysterics imaging what Sarah thought of our family. The kids had been pretty good but even Terry and I had lost interest and just wanted to look in the shops and eat. By the end of the day I think poor Sarah wished we would have learnt more - but we had certainly learned as much as we could take!
I've added so many photos but it was such a special place I couldn't choose which ones!
Waiting for the train
Eurostar!
Yuck - a birds been hit!
Tin Tin James
Grand Place!
Beer shop!
The beers kicked in!
So tired after a day of sightseeing - eating pizza asleep!
Another Gelato!
Our guide Sarah trying to educate everyone!
Bruges!
In hysterics - will the guide leave us?
When in Belgium, eat cheese & salami for breakfast!







The food looks delicious!! Glad to see Dad drinking beer, he must be feeling better???
ReplyDelete