Friday, 28 June 2013

To Paris with .......sons!

Yesterday was a huge day - another trip on the Eurostar, this time to Paris.  Terry hadn't been feeling well the day before and when we woke up in the morning he just wasn't feeling well enough to go.  I decided I'd go with the boys by myself.  I packed our trusty backpack and set off to catch the 730 train feeling full of adventure.  We took a taxi to the station and this is when i started feeling full of fear.  OMG - could i do it?  I get lost going past Hexham - Crap.  Will could see the fear in my face - he started trying to make me feel better, "how exciting Mum, can you believe we are going to Paris?"  No I could not!

The train ride went quickly, the kids were brilliant (it was 2.5 hours).   It felt like a croissant and a latte later we were at Gare du Nord Station.  Confidence back I was ready to take on Paris for the day.

We took a taxi and in my best French said, "Bonjour, Place de la Concorde." He started talking French - clearly I was clueless - then I added, "From Australia".  I know how much the French dislike the English so the Australia bit surely would give me a few points.  We arrived at Place de la Concorde which is one of the major public squares in Paris.  (Good suggestion Mum!)  I'd filled the kids with fear before we arrived, telling them to stick close - I didn't want to lose them in Paris - and told them to be wary of beggars, trickers, scammers, sellers - and they all really were just about on every corner.  We sat down and James and I shared a 'chocolat du part'.  It was the most amazing chocolate cake ever so I then just had to try the 'citrus  part' and James had another piece of the chocolate 'part'. Amazing.  We walked around the square checking out the gardens, the Obelisk of Luxor and all of the statues.

We went to see about a river cruise but the next one was 45 minutes away and we just didn't have time to waste.  We decided to bail but it was worth the walk as the kids got to see all of the locks on the bridge which they thought were pretty cool.

We then hopped on one of the open air buses and went to Notre Dame Cathedral.  We walked around and the boys lit a candle for Terry's Mum and Dad and my grandfather.  James got really emotional - it was a bit overwhelming, especially as we rarely go into a church.  There was a choir singing, the music was kind of haunting and the stained glass windows were amazing.   Jesus on the cross - it was all too much for young Jim!

We headed to the Champ Elysees and the kids were happy to find McDonalds.  I was desperate to shop but with only 3 hours left in Paris decided to take on the Arc De Triomphe.  The line to get in went fairly quickly - we walked up the 284 stairs to the top - with my heavy back pack on it was no easy feat!  Certainly helped to walk off the 'Royale with Cheese' I scoffed at Maccas (Quarter Pounder)

The kids were busting to get to the Eiffel Tower and I am so glad we saved it til last.  Back on the bus and finally we made it - my selling point to the kids for the trip - the Eiffel Tower!

We took photo after photo - the lines were so long and thankfully the kids weren't really interested in going up the top, they were just happy we'd finally made it.  When we were taking photos, a gorilla came along and started posing with us - then it hit me, how much is this gonna cost me?  In all my trip advisor researching I hadn't heard about gorillas!  I put a couple of euro into the gorillas tin and by this stage the kids were fed up with the scammers.  Will especially in his words was 'crapped off'.

We then made it back to the station, six hours in Paris over.  It had been forecast to rain and we had sunshine all day - huge bonus.  The only three words/phrases we knew had helped us out throughout the day - Bonjour, Merci and Parlez-vous Anglais!

Together, the kids and i were a great team.  We had caught trains, taxis, buses, the tube and made it around Paris without getting lost or wasting anytime.  A huge success and damn amazing as I was the leader - my goodness if i can do all that with two kids in tow is there anything i can't do?!

The day couldn't have gone any better,  and yes my beautiful friend Rainee I was thinking of you all day - I know you have a thing for Paris xxx






Back on the Eurostar again


First up - Place de la Concorde



Eating our 'parts'


Impressed with the locks


Notre Dame


Thinking of Pup, Nan and Pa.





Good old Maccas - it's everywhere you go



We made it


Crazy James


My little mate


Team Marlborough


Time to go......





No comments:

Post a Comment