We then decided to go to the Borough Markets for an early lunch. Leaving our apartment we decided to count the stairs - 63 stairs in total from our third floor apartment to the street. We knew this before coming here but nothing is like the reality. Terry has just about had jack of this 'bohemian' apartment and its stairs. The solution I found is this: when we get back at the end of each day, Terry heads straight to the pub - any pub - rather than face the dreaded stairs. After a few pints, Terry doesn't seem to mind the stairs - or maybe the beer blocks them out. Safety - what's that? There's not a handrail in sight so definitely no three points of contact here. I've walked up and down more stairs in London in a week than I have walked up in 6 months. At the tube stations there are stairs, stairs and more stairs. I get very excited when we are at a station and see an escalator! We are all feeling fitter for it though and we are walking kilometres every day.
At the Borough markets James quickly spies the chocolate brownie and Will sees the strawberries. I head straight to Hobbs for a pulled pork roll. Terry jumps in front of me in the queue and orders a pulled beef roll. I then start filling my roll with the free pork crackling until Will yells out, 'Mum, stop taking all the crackling!' I then turn around and Terry is inhaling a custard cream bun! We keep walking and then it dawns on Terry he's peaked too early - meat pies and kranskys were just around the corner!
Then back on the tube to the Prince Edward theatre to see the Disney musical, Aladdin. It was a fantastic stage production full of colour, lights, and music - and boy don't the English love their musicals. I think i spent more time laughing at the crowd than laughing at the musical.
The kids (aka hand brakes) were keen to get home so back on the tube. We needed to change lines at Green Park station which meant Buckingham Palace was only a few block away! It was a beautiful day too and with an hour or so left of daylight I decided we were going to get the dollar out of the day. Rioting children in tow, Terry and I headed for the Palace. 'You've already seen it on the last trip' whinged the kids - well bad luck! We were so close I just wanted to see the Palace again!
Walking through Green Park there were people everywhere - just sitting on the grass in little groups, having a few drinks. A short walk later and there it was - Buckingham Palace. I stood there just thinking.....I am standing at Buckingham Palace..... it is just AMAZING. Then I noticed the kids were briefly interested - asking for my camera they zoomed in on the guards rifle. Ah, that's a AK47 says James.
Finally home after a 9 hour day, Terry took one look at the stairs, turned around and headed straight to the pub. Once the kids were inside, I met Terry for a few drinks and we found a fantastic Austrian restaurant for Weiner snitzel and strudel.
Our station - Ladbroke Grove
12 fingers = 12 years
Time for a travel sweet says James.
Borough Markets!
Found - the famous pulled pork
'Stop pinching all the crackling Mum'
Best liquorice I've ever had
Boys have had enough of the markets - here's my Oyster card Bel, let's go.
Prince Edward Theatre and the birthday boy.
Two annoyed kids lead the way - HA HA!
Boys checking out the rifle
Blue sky - what a great day!
Home on the packed out tube - people, people, people!























No comments:
Post a Comment