Sunday, 18 September 2016

Westminster, Southbank and Imperial War Museum

Today we decided to take advantage of the reasonable weather and head to Westminster and walk by the Thames.  All the kids want to do is go to Westfield but I told them we'll save that for Monday or Tuesday as the forecast for those days is rain.  Watching breakfast TV, the biggest news is the question of whether to do away with the penny.

As our closest tube is still closed, we walked the 25 minutes to Notting Hill Gate station - and just HAD to pick up more of those tasty hot chips from Portobello Road on the way.  We are getting around so easily on the tube and I just love that i can actually guide us around.  I'm so hopeless with maps but i can work the tube.  And Sharmo - I just love the app maps.me - it is getting me around and even points me in the right direction!  I can hear you saying..... I'd be lost without it!

We picked up some nuggets for Will on the way.

Will: 'Can i have six nuggets please'
McDonalds Cashier: 'How many?'
Will: 'Six'
McDonalds Cashier: 'Sorry, how many?"
Will: 'Six please'
McDonalds Cashier: 'Oh you mean seeeeeex nuggets:
Will: 'Sex...ha ha ..seeex nuggets..yeah'

Our accent's are so 'Australian'.

Once we got to Westminster - Big Ben was the focus.  I drove everyone mad getting a photo in this spot, and that spot, and oh there's another spot, and look over here, here's a better spot.  We walked to Westminster Abbey and I'm explaining the kids, 'this is where all the royal family gets married' and Kate and Wills and blah blah blah.  Clearly i was the most excited - one day I'm sure they will look back and appreciate it!

We then walked along the Thames and the kids had a play in the park.  I told Terry I had a surprise for him and James asked, 'is it a kind of pie gallery?'.  I then lead the way (maps.me again!) to find the Imperial War Museum which i knew Terry would like.  We walked and walked and walked and finally we were at the Museum.  We had spent the whole day prior on our feet and it was starting to show.  We spent a few hours at the museum before heading to the nearest tube station.....to find it was closed!  So we walked and walked and walked and walked to the next station, Waterloo.  We were soooo happy to get there and we were absolutely exhausted.  We had to change lines and then decided we'd catch a cab from Notting Hill Gate back to our apartment.  We just couldn't do the 25 minute walk back again.

Tonight we strolled to the end of the road to our new local, 'The Eagle' for a Sunday roast complete with yorkshire pudding.


Woo hoo!  This angle.....


 and that angle.



The bobby telling us to move along



By the Thames


Chilling in the park at Southbank



Are we there yet??  Looks suspiciously like the boys have downed a beer!

Found!  The Imperial War Museum




We made it - Waterloo station!!!


Our new local


 We'll be heading back. 10 pound baked dinner complete with amazing yorkshire pudding.  
Lucky for me Terry doesn't eat it - I get two.

No comments:

Post a Comment