Saturday, 17 September 2016

London - we're on our way!

We arrived at the airport ready for the gruelling 28 hours transit time it would take to arrive in London.  First up was a 14 hour flight to Dubai, a 2 hour stopover then another 8 hour flight.

I can't stand sitting still for long but I was determined to enjoy the flights ahead.  I was reminding myself how lucky were we to be going on this adventure and consider the flying as a time to rest.  I was still battling a cold and was even a bit excited to watch a few movies.

We boarded the plane, found our seats and were settling in when James says, 'Mum, my tv screen doesn't work.'  So i say, 'No worries son, I'll swap seats, I'm sure it can be fixed.'   Very calmly I asked the flight attendant to restart my screen - she did so 5 times.  Hmmm...not working, this wasn't in the plan!  Asking again, the flight attendant starts looking stressed.  Then i could see why - lots of people were complaining too - screens were freezing everywhere.  It was touch and go for an hour - however eventually they made an announcement they were going to restart the whole economy class system and lucky for me, it worked!

Settling in, Terry wanted me to watch The Revenant - I got through it but oh goodness - so i backed up with one of my favourite chick flicks, Dirty Dancing.  Then i slept on and off until I heard, 'Mum I'm going to be sick!'  Oh no, poor James seems to have had too much coke and not enough water.   Dehydration was setting in.  But then the kid behind us started, then the lady across the aisle, then another kid down a bit - what was happening??!!  The flight attendant said that James might have to be seen by a doctor at the airport in Dubai to make sure he was ok to continue on.  I smiled and firmly reassured her that James was feeling much better - and then James pipes up with, 'yeah but remember you're sick too mum'  I give James the 'don't say another word look' and think of mum saying to me, 'they might not let you on the plane if you're sick.'  Anyway, they gave James a hydralyte drink and I managed to talk our way out of seeing a doctor.  We boarded the second plane and exhaustion must have set in as I slept the whole way to London!



James filling is his departure form



Ready to fly!

No comments:

Post a Comment