Saturday, 26 September 2015

Beautiful Victoria

Catching up on the blog again from Salt Lake City.....

Thursday, 24th Sept:

We had one full day in Victoria and we headed out early to the famous Butchart Gardens.  We went early to beat the crowds and also to beat the weather.  The forecast was for rain in the afternoon.  The boys were not keen – I think even Terry had his doubts – although no one complained.  However I knew that over 1 million people visit the gardens each year, it was going to be spectacular.  Well, as I had thought, the kids had a great time and for ¾ of the trip were truly interested.  The visit certainly motivated Terry and I – we haven’t had a lot of time to garden the past year – however we have set a challenge to have our garden looking more ‘Butchart’ in one years time.  After a while, the kids started to fool around and, although I could have stayed all day, it was time to go.  We had walked around every garden and we were inspired!  On our drive back to the city,  I spied Bambi!  There was the cutest little deer on the side of the road.  We doubled back so wildlife Bel could take some pictures – I have always had a soft spot for Bambi.

We then had a challenge on our hands for the afternoon.  William was after a ‘Blue Yeti’.  Now, a Blue Yeti is a professional microphone that he was desperate to buy for his YouTube videos.  He had saved all of his Canadian money that his Nanny had given him for the trip so that he could buy one in Canada.  We had seen the Blue Yeti at the start of our trip at Walmart and I assured him they would be everywhere in Canada.  Well – we hadn’t found one at any of the other Walmarts we had been to – the search for the Blue Yeti on our last day in Canada began.  We went to Hudson Bay Mall – nope – all sold out of Blue Yetis.  How could this be!?  I hadn’t even heard of one before the trip.  James became the hero – he read the directly and found a shop in the mall that he thought would sell electronics.  Well, they were also out of Blue Yetis however the young kid had seen one a week ago at ‘Best Buy', roughly a ten minute drive away.  Off we went to find the yeti – I was starting to give up hope and was thinking how much easier it would have been if i had of let Will buy it at the beginning of the trip.  When we finally tracked down ‘Best Buy’ – there weren’t any Blue Yetis on the shelf.  The shop assistant started searching the store - they showed two in stock - where was the Blue Yeti? After 10 minutes, they found it.  Will had his Blue Yeti and no one was more relieved than Terry!

Back for dinner at the Il Terrazzo and once again, the meal was out of this world.  The night was our last in Canada – and we were all really sad that we were leaving the next day.  We are at the halfway point of trip and not one of us wants it to end. 




Butchart Gardens - spectacular







Terry getting some tips


Love a carousel





Love a dahlia


James took a great pic of a bee


A dahlia as big as a dinner plate



There's that look - boys start to fool at the Japanese Garden.....




Is there a way out of here thinks James




Oh no, here come the sillies


James looking for a shortcut



I'd like our garden like this Terry!


And I'd like our windows like this Terry!


Boys have all had enough


Getting sillier - picking the boars golden nose




'Mum, that was great.....time to go!  What a shame it's over', says James


Bambi on the side of the road


One happy kid




Hallelujah - we found the Blue Yeti!



Back to Il Terrazzo - Sliced duck breast with star anise, fennel and cinnamon glaze, accompanied by poached pear, toasted hazelnut, goats cheese and baby kale, served with white chocolate risotto.  Out of this world!


I am going to be the side of a house when i get home... Trio of desserts: Double chocolate cheesecake, tiramisu and lemon tart with berries.....


2 comments:

  1. Oh my god the photos of those gardens are stunning my favourite is the dahlia pic and the garden archways....amazing!! Your camera is awesome!! Loving the pics :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's like your own garden Bel. How beautiful are the gardens?

    ReplyDelete