My goodness I am not very good at keeping
up with the blog this holiday! Our days
are so jam packed it is hard to fit it in......so here goes…
We left Jasper around 10:30am – a little
earlier – to make our way to Banff via the famed Icefields Parkway. I had really been looking forward to this
part of the trip – and was not disappointed!
It is really hard to put the drive into words and the photos do not do
justice. With Gypsy on, we learnt all
about the area and experienced visual overload - we were on the edge of our seats the whole
day. We spotted elk shortly out of
Jasper.
First stop of the day was the Athabasca
Falls – we were blown away at the force of the water. Another few stops then we went to the
Columbia Icefields and onto the Athabasca Glacier. Unbelievably we started talking to a couple from
Mayfield, with their Newcastle Knights beanie on. It was freezing of course and just when we
stepped onto the glacier it started to snow!
The kids were so excited.
We then stopped at Peyto Lake and we were
surrounded by snow! It was like being in
a winter wonderland, the air was so crisp, the lake was so blue - and we now
know this is from the ‘rock flour’. The
kids loved playing in the snow and having snow ball fights. The whole stop was very special and surreal.
When we finished the 230km drive, we all
agreed it was the most spectacular drive we have ever done! When we reached Banff, the highway has fences
to stop the wildlife from going on the road.
I believe I saw my first young Caribu!
We then arrived at Banff and we were booked
to stay at the Banff Fairmont which was on my bucket list. I had told Terry and the boys we were staying
at Moose Chalet and told them not to be disappointed, as there was no
heater. I had programmed the Fairmont
into the GPS and as we drove along the boys were looking out the window for the
chalet. Well – you should have seen
everyone’s faces when we were guided into the Fairmont entry. I don’t think I’ve ever seen everyone so
excited – and relieved- the Marlborough’s like their 5 star luxury! We were staying on the ‘Gold’ level which
provides an exceptional level of service, and includes breakfast, evening
canapés and dessert. We were given a
really big room with a fantastic view, topped off with birthday chocolates and
wine. The kids ordered room service and
Terry and I went down to one of the restaurants and enjoyed a really good
meal. We all agreed it would be good to
be in luxury for 3 nights!
First spot
Snowing!
James with his snowball
Snow!
Walking to the lake...
ends in a snowball fight!
Peyto Lake
Winter Wonderland
Trying to make the snow fall
A wildlife crossing over the Icefields Parkway
Level 5 - the Gold level
Birthday welcome chocolates
Mum and Dad, we have wifi, can you please go out for dinner!























No comments:
Post a Comment