We set off for a day in the Yorkshire Dales
before making our way to York.
I think I’ve said over 100 times in the car
- the grass is just so green! The stone
walls continued, we have never seen so many stone walls in our life. They went right to the top of the mountains
and stretched as far as the eye could see. The roads were so narrow and cars would still
fly past!
We came to a rare section without walls and
found sheep and horses grazing freely across the road. We weren’t sure what breed the horses were
but we sat and watched them munching on the grass.
We stopped at a small town, Hawes, and went
to the Wensleydale Creamery for a cheese tasting. There were around 30 different varieties of
cheese and I was in heaven! Cheddars, blues, fruit and chilli – I had a little
piece of every sort.
Shortly after leaving, we found ourselves
on another little road and in front of us was a lady and her baby in a
pram. The road was so narrow we couldn’t
pass her and she started running with the pram until she came to a clearing and
could let us pass. We got chatting to
her and she lived close by - her and her husband were sheep farmers. She was up for a chat and told us all about
life as a farmer in the Yorkshire Dales.
They breed sheep and for their
top ram last year they got 50,000 pounds and they get around 102 pounds a
lamb. Farms get a subsidy on the proviso
they keep their walls up and tidy as it is a requirement because they farm is
located in a national park. There is
all different criteria they have to meet.
She said the walls drive them mad as when there is a frost, the ice
falls and takes rocks away with it.
Every single day they work from dawn to dusk. We really enjoyed chatting to her and as we
were driving away she said we were welcome to come and stay with her if we were
in the area again!
Driving on, we arrived at the Forbidden
Corner, originally a unique labyrinth of tunnels, chambers, follies and
surprises created within a 4 acre garden.
It was privately created and opened to the public due to high demand. James and I in particular love a maze and we
were given a list of things we had to find along the way. I couldn’t tell you how amazing it was –
there were hedges, turns that lead to pathways, underground chambers, gardens,
sculptures, water booby traps – excitement at every turn. James was skipping along saying, ‘I just love
this place, I just love it!’ We spent
nearly two hours exploring and there was still one area we couldn’t find. It was just so clever and I could have
stayed there all day.
Onwards we drove and arrived at York early
evening. We picked up the keys to our
Airbnb apartment and had a quiet night and home cooked meal. We’d had a fantastic day exploring the Yorkshire
Dales and were all tired out!



































No comments:
Post a Comment