We all woke up late – and the kids and I
were sore from shooting! The first thing
James said is he would like to take up clay shooting as a sport. We’ll have to see what Nan says about that
one James!
I would like to talk about my new love, the
potato scone. In Ireland we had the
potato farl, whereas in Scotland we now have the potato scone. I’d happily scoff either of these for
breakfast, lunch or tea and when I get home I’m going to learn how to make
them. Let’s just say this delicious
staple is starting to show - I’m hoping I’ll still fit in my Melbourne Cup
dress!!
We left the quaint little town Pitlochry in
record time – we have mastered the quick pack up – or perhaps we aren’t
unpacking as much? Either way, it hasn’t
bothered me living out of a suitcase one little bit. Not even for a second – I could just keep
travelling forever.
Anyway, we were in the car quick sticks to
start our drive to Edinburgh. There are
so many trees (which in my opinion) makes Scotland so so pretty. Everywhere we go, the clouds part and the sun
comes out – we have just been so lucky with the weather.
We made a detour to drive past the Kelpies
and then called into see the Falkirk Wheel.
The Falkirk Wheel is the world’s first and only rotating boat lift. It’s the centerpiece of the 85 million pound
Millennium Link, the UK’s largest ever project to restore canals. The impressive wheel is 35 metres high or the
same height as 8 double decker buses.
‘Look at those bearings!’ marveled Terry.
We tossed up whether to go on a boat ride
but we decided we’d be happy just to watch the wheel. The kids ordered a wood fired pizza and we
sat to watch. We waited, and waited and
waited. It seemed the Falkirk Wheel was
the ‘F**ked Wheel’ as it wasn’t working.
Terry went over and quizzed the engineer – apparently the sensor can get
clogged with bird poo. Terry suggested
he go down there and remove the poo – he wanted to see the FALKIRK WHEEL
WORK! So off the engineer waddled,
cleaned the sensor and guess what – the wheel started turning. We were all so pleased we had decided not to
go on the boat ride – and after watching the wheel come down we decided we’d
seen enough. The wheel was very
impressive once it got working!
After navigating the many, many roadworks
in Edinburgh, we arrived at our penthouse apartment on the Royal Mile. Terry and I dropped the boys and the luggage off and headed off to find the nearby parking station. This provided extremely difficult with all the road closures and we were worried about the kids as it took us nearly 20 minutes. Eventually, we found a carpark two blocks away. We made our way up to our apartment on the 4th floor by using an old creaky lift. It was so small, only one of us could fit with our bag at a time. We were quite nervous as written in faded texta were the words 'out of service'. Relieved once we were all in, there was no way the three boys were moving anywhere. The apartment was a splurge on the trip and worth every cent.
There were three bedrooms, enormous kitchen and loungeroom - every facility you could want. Washing machine and dryer (Yay!) and
looked out over Arthur’s Seat. I could
have happily lived in it – it was a palace compared to the apartment we had in
London. It was still only 5pm – AND I
WAS IN EDINBURGH – so I grabbed the camera and set off solo up the Royal Mile.
The Royal Mile was bustling, lots of people
strolling along and buskers playing music. Lots of different people in dress up – posing
with people for money. Restaurants and
shops lined the cobblestone street. I
walked up to the castle, turned around and walked back to Sainbury’s near our
apartment to buy groceries and made us a home cooked dinner.
As I jumped into my comfy bed, I could hear
chiming coming from the big clock up the mile and couldn’t believe I was in
Edinburgh!
Another breaky - another potato scone
Low cloud and another beautiful day
A roundabout near Glen Eagles
Wood fired pizza whilst we waited to see the wheel
A mini version of the Kelpies
Come on wheel!
The water playground - big kid at heart
The engineer cleans the poo - and away the wheel went!
No way this lot was moving anywhere!
One room each!

Quick cuppa then I'm off up the Mile - Arthurs Seat in the distance
Love a kilt
Our apartment is top of the building on the left
'You're cooking me dinner, you beauty!'
Another pack of potato scones for me!

















No comments:
Post a Comment