Tuesday, 11 October 2016

York in a day!

We all woke up late – again! One of the boys – of which I won’t name – said out of the blue, ‘I’m missing nan so much, she is the best nan in the world.’ 

It was drizzling and as we weren’t in a rush, we slowly got ready for the day.  We headed out late for a walk around York and you wouldn’t believe it, the clouds lifted and out came the sun!  First up, a stroll to the Shambles and to see the shortest street.  There were so many shops with so many things to eat we didn’t know where to start!  We watched fudge get made and James bought a piece of vanilla and I bought a piece of salted caramel – and a piece of maple & walnut that was still warm! I then saw pulled pork rolls!  Even though I wasn’t hungry I just HAD to have one – and I will pay the price when I get home.   Will then found McDonalds on the map app and I’ve never seen a kid walk so quick – we were all laughing as we tried to keep up with him. 

We wandered around the town, through a park and down to the city wall which we walked along to the National Railway Museum.  Once this would have been Will’s dream and I wasn’t sure what his reaction would be now that he’s a cool teenager.  Well, once we were inside, you couldn’t help but be impressed.  We were all interested and we marvelled at the sheer size of some of the trains.  We got to go in an English Pullman, Japanese bullet train and went into a Mallard simulator, which told the story of the speed breaking train.  Will was completely blown away by the Mallard – it had always been his favourite train.  The museum really was incredible.

That night Terry and I decided to go out for dinner – we walked into a pub and then looked at each and we were thinking the same thing – we just couldn’t do another night in a pub.  We turned around, walked straight back out and walked along until we came to a restaurant at the end of our street.  The restaurant was packed, noisy but the menu looked outstanding.  We had entrees, mains and a bottle of wine.  We were contemplating dessert when I received a text from James:

‘Mum I kinda ate your salted fudge I just had a bit then a bit more and a bit more.  Sorry L

I had to laugh, his confession was very cute – so Terry and I ordered dessert and a sticky wine!


Terry and I reminisced about our holiday all night and both agree we’ve had an absolutely fantastic trip – we just don’t want to come home! 



Hey, I'm in York - so yorkshire puddings for breakfast!


The river at the end of our street


How long could i resist the pulled pork?


Strolling along the Shambles


Pastries for Terry


Fudge!



I resisted the pulled pork for 30 minutes - now time for a roll








Pose with your mother!





Can you see 3 Marlboroughs?


National Railway Museum






A night out in York - no pubs for us!


But I didn't say a quick flutter at the casino was out of the question!


That's ok James - I'll order dessert and a sticky wine!

No comments:

Post a Comment