Thursday, 6 October 2016

Royal Mile, Edinburgh Castle and a big night out

Today we were very slow off the mark – our slowest start yet.  As we don’t often have two nights in one place, I’ve found when we do we just collapse.  Not once has anyone complained about being on the move and if there was going to be a place to just hang out for a bit – it surely had to be this amazing apartment.   On the news, the weather girl commented that yesterday had been the hottest day in September’s history!

Heading out after midday we made our way up the Royal Mile to Edinburgh Castle.  I’d been there 20 years earlier but I couldn’t really remember a lot and surely now that I was older, I would be interested in the history? 

Passing the many shops on the way filled with shortbread, tartan and kilts, I resisted going into to any of the shops.  I haven’t bought a single souvenir – nothing other than food and grog - on our entire trip.  Obviously with three boys there isn’t a lot of time to shop, but I haven’t really seen anything I need – other than sampling the local tasty treats!

We arrived at the castle and started making our way around.  It is hard to believe that real Kings and Queens had lived in this castle – and we were there now!   We stood in the room that Mary Queen of Scots gave birth to the future King James VI and Terry and I were intrigued by the life of Mary and her final demise after 19 years in captivity in England.

As we left the castle, we had become a lot more aware of the significance of the Royal Mile – we were making our way down a street that every King and Queen had come down!  Just think, Mary Queen of Scots would have been led down this road to her exile. 

Terry and James made their way back to the apartment and Will and I walked on to Princes street in the new part of Edinburgh.  The gardens were just so pretty and I still couldn’t believe I was walking around Edinburgh!

That afternoon, Terry and I hit the pub trail as I was keen to track down a traditional music session – I just had to find that fiddle!  After searching online for the best places, we hit the pavement.  First up was Sandy’s Bells, famous for their daily music sessions.  As we entered the very small pub, I’d felt like I’d made a mistake – surely a music session couldn’t take place in this little small pub?  It was a real local pub and as there were two seats left at the bar, we decided we’d have a pint and wait and see.  Our drinks were certainly cheap enough – compared to paying 6 pounds for a pint in Temple Bar, we were paying 5 pounds for two.  We met a Canadian , Linda,  and she could chat as much as me!  The next half hour flew and before we knew it musicians started rolling in one by one.  There were banjo players, fiddle players, a piano player – there was even a harpist!  There seemed to be more players in this pub than there were patrons.  All the musicians were fighting for a seat!   Whilst they played some great tunes, the group were beginners, so after an hour we headed up the road to another pub The Royal Oak.  Another small pub and it was packed and the music was fantastic.  By this stage, the cider had really kicked in– the Canadian had handed me pint after pint - and the musicians were fantastic!  The group of musicians were mainly guitarists along with a pan flute player.  Let’s just say, when I started dancing solo in front of the group Terry clearly knew it was time to go.   By this stage, I’d somehow lost all sense of direction (not that I have much anyway and with one eye open the streets all looked the same) and that left Terry to navigate our way back home!






St Giles Cathedral







Go Terry!








First up - Sandy Bells


Followed by the Royal Oak

No comments:

Post a Comment