Friday, 25 September 2015

Last morning at Glendale Cove - then off to Victoria

The alarm went off and we had all slept like a log.  Our room was freezing and I think it made us sleep.  We quickly got ready for breakfast and made our way to the restaurant.  Once there, Rita and Ivan sat with us for breakfast – we exchanged email addresses and will keep in touch.  They have travelled the world extensively however have never been to Australia.  We suited up, ready for our last excursion – another tour of the estuary.  The kids were both excited to be heading back to the mainland  - (code for wifi).  ‘Are you sure this is the LAST excursion this morning?’ asked a smiling James.  Will said, ‘Mum I really appreciate this experience, but I will be happy to get back to a city.’  Many of the guests had commented to the kids how lucky they were to be there – it truly was a once in a lifetime experience.  Whilst they both enjoyed it, Terry and I both agreed that one night at the lodge was enough for them.  I would have loved to have stayed an extra couple of nights – however definitely not with the kids in tow!  I was in my element – Terry said that in our 18 years together he didn’t realise I was such a wildlife enthusiast!

Greeted at the dock by the seals, we set off to the estuary with our guide Jay.  With the rain looming, we started our look for wildlife.  We saw many bald eagles, seals and porpoises.  The rain had held off!  As we started to move a little further out into the inlet, we experienced something amazing.  A pod of pacific silver dolphins moved into the inlet.  I felt like I was in Neverland!  The water was calm and gleaming silver and the mist was surrounding the mountains.  The dolphins were moving through the inlet and jumping right out of the water on either side of our small boat.  I didn’t know where to look!  They were so fast yet graceful, and all around us were black and silver flashes.  The encounter was over in minutes and I was left in awe.  Jay seemed as excited as us – he said whilst he had seen dolphins in the inlet before, he had never seem them jumping out of the water.  

Back to the floating lodge, we took our backpacks to the seaplane just as it started to rain.  I couldn’t believe our 24 hours had come to and end.  The pilot asked if anyone would like to co-pilot and William jumped right in.  On the flight we experienced terrible turbulence and I actually started to feel sick which has not happened to me on a flight before.  James fell asleep on the plane – he is exhausted and it was for the best as it was such a bumpy ride.  There were only the Marlboroughs and two guides returning home on that flight and let’s just say we (including the guides) were all really relieved when we landed on the water in Campbell River. 

We then started our three hour drive to Victoria.   We were going to take the scenic route, which was an hour longer, however as it was raining we decided to head down the inland highway.  An hour into the trip we needed a break and we stopped on the way at the North Island Wildlife Recovery Association in Comox - another interesting stop.  As we wandered along we met a young, excited girl who was on her way to Knight Inlet.  She was so excited and spent half an hour asking us many, many questions about the experience.

We arrived into the beautiful city of Victoria in the late afternoon.  Now, as we all know - I am terrible with directions and I knew the name of the apartments we were staying at but didn’t have the address. With no wifi, I was going to take a punt.   I had researched the area intently before I had left Oz and I told a smirking Terry I thought I could find our way there.  Not a chance thought Terry as we were closer to the city – even i was a little worried, I didn’t realise how big Victoria was.  I knew a few of the landmarks though and as we got closer I said to Terry, I think if you try this street we would have to be close – freakishly, we were right out the front of the apartment! I relished the rare moment!  Our waterfront apartment was  absolutely HUGE – the kids were running around screaming with delight – oh to have wifi again! 


The sun had come out and I wanted to make the most of it - let's go explore Victoria Terry!  The kids begged to stay in the apartment so Terry and I hit the streets by ourselves.  We walked around the beautiful waterfront – and we were enjoying the peace too! I had asked the concierge where a good Italian restaurant was and he recommended Il Terrazzo, just a short walk away.  Terry and I found the hidden, laneway restaurant and at 5pm on a Wednesday the restaurant was packed!  The earliest we could get in was 7:30pm so we ventured back and had exceptional cuisine and service.  The meals were the best we have ever eaten and the service was impeccable.  As we left the restaurant that night we made a booking for the very next night.  Nothing was going to beat this restaurant – ever.   We just had to go back and sample more of the menu.  I asked our waiter what number the restaurant was on Tripadvisor.  She said they fluctuate between number 1 and 5 – this is out of 975 restaurants in Victoria!  Winning.  



Wet weather - bring it on!


Good morning!



Misty and silvery inlet


One of the many bald eagles


You can just see one of the dolphins - terrible shot!



Family on the estuary - boat's on a lean Bel, move back to the other side!


A life size grizzly bear - although it was on a 50cm stand


Our seaplane awaits us


Co-pilot Will


James asleep AGAIN!  

He said his strategy was to go to sleep when he is bored so when he wakes up everything is all over.  
He also likes to break down everything into 10 minute lots.  So an hour is really only 6 x 10 minutes - then whatever he is bored with, doesn't seem so bad,



Wildlife Recovery Centre - bears eat salmonberries.


Terry tries to take out a bear.


Welcome to Victoria - the sun was out just for the afternoon


Peace at last


Parents on the loose.


Our apartment is the building on the left


Queen Victoria 



This is where we are!


'The Homecoming'


Terry makes a friend

4 comments:

  1. Wow...what a birthday Jamsie

    Happy Birthday from the Goodwins. We cant wait to celebrate when you get home XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aunty Rainee! Love James! xxx Missing the Goodwins!

      Delete
  2. Wow!! The photos you are taking are amazing!! Such great shots of the seals and bald eagle!!! Love seeing dad make friends over there did he exchange email addresses with his bench buddy haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. nearly had a mini heart attack with the bear photo and Terry

    ReplyDelete