We set our alarms for 6:30am – yes, an
alarm for the first time since our holiday started! It was James’s birthday and we had to be on
the move early for our adventure to Glendale Cove, Knight Inlet.
I had blown up some ‘James’ balloons (found
at Walmart) and had a couple of small presents waiting for little James when he
woke. James had been eyeing off my silk
(wrinkle free & anti-aging - I hope) pillowcase for the past year. Well, it was the perfect gift to bring along
(light and small) and now Prince James has his own.
We drove down to the seaplane terminal to
begin the start of our wilderness adventure.
We only had 24 hours at Glendale Cove and we were all excited – and I
suppose a little anxious. We were about
fly in a seaplane to an extremely remote part of Western Canada to hopefully
see bears.
We were met at the dock by an employee of
Knight Inlet Lodge and told what to expect for the next 24 hours. It would be like we were at boot camp - go,
go, go! We would go on an excursion,
eat, excursion, eat, excursion, eat, sleep, eat, excursion then leave. There are only ever 40 guests that can stay
at any given time at the lodge and there was approximately 15 guests arriving
on the first day with us. We spoke with
a lovely couple from Manchester Rita and Ivan – it was Rita’s birthday that day
too.
The flight into Glendale Cove was surreal -
it looked like we were flying into Jurassic Park. There was mist all through the trees on the
mountains and it began raining. I have
to admit I was a little disappointed it had started to rain however the clouds
made the mountains and the water turn a silvery gray. We landed – phew – and were given a tour of
the floating dock that would be our pad for the next 24 hours. No time to waste, within 45 minutes we were rugged
up and out on our first excursion, an estuary tour. The
rain briefly stopped and we would spot our first bear of the day. A little black bear, and although we were
excited, all four of us were hoping to see a grizzly bear. That is what we had come for. Of course we were in the wild - nothing is
guaranteed – but our fingers were crossed.
On that first excursion we also saw bald eagles, seals (dogs of the
ocean) and many other varieties of birds.
Back for a delicious hot lunch and then
straight back out for our next excursion - no time to waste. We would be bear viewing at a stand
overlooking the weir. Would we see a
grizzly? We were all hopeful.
The rain had eased however we were told to
put on the rain resistant suits and gum boots.
We had a short boat ride across the cove – that’s when I saw the sign.
‘Extreme Danger, Grizzly Bears’. We
hopped off the boat and had a short walk to a bus that would take us deeper
into the rainforest. We were given a brief about how we should behave whilst on
the stand– no sudden movements, only whispers, and no matter what – if we were
to encounter a bear on the way, we were not to run. Only food runs. I felt
even more like I was in Jurassic Park – what was I doing there, was I
crazy?
We drove for 15 minutes along a narrow,
dirt road into the rainforest and arrived at a walkway that would lead to a
stand. Our guides went out of the bus and checked the area and when all was
clear (of bears!) we were lead up the walkway to the viewing stand overlooking
the weir. As I looked over the stand, my
breath was taken away by what I saw.
Even though I knew we were going bear watching, no words can describe
those very first moments. There were the
grizzly bears! And not just 1, 2 or even
3 – there were 9! Mother bears with
their cubs, and one male bear right in the middle. We were spellbound and we would see a total
of 15 bears including two sets of twins and one set of triplets. The salmon were running and the bears were
filling up so they would be fat enough to last through hibernation (which
begins in November) We were at the stand
for two hours and the bears were chomping and chomping through the salmon. I could write about our experience for hours
– I did not want to leave. On the way
back, three people needed to go to the toilet – one of those was little Jimmy
who had downed two hot chocolates and lemonade at lunch. The bus stopped about 5 minutes drive away
for the stand and everyone presumed there was a toilet. Oh no, there wasn’t! I took Jimmy of the bus and we were told to
make a lot of noise as we walked along to scare away any bears. I don’t think I have ever been more relieved
to get back on a bus! Terry felt bad as
he didn’t realise we’d gone out there alone!
Back at the lodge for afternoon tea – how
long have we got? 10 minutes! The
schedule was grueling but welcome. Back
into our suits and off on a cruise of Knight Inlet. James had had enough – he was tired. The boat took around 12 of us into the inlet
– and Will was lucky enough to play captain!
On the boat there was an inside compartment and seats outside. James and I chose outside – I wanted the wind
in my hair and the sea spray on my face!
A short time into the cruise, there were humpback whales. We could hear them breathing! We saw more eagles and seals – and also spoke
with a couple who were from….Kotara! The
cruise all became too much for James – he fell asleep outside, in the
rain! He had really had enough and at
the end of the excursion when I woke him up he said, ‘I thought I would go to
sleep so when I woke up it would all be over’
One day he will look back and realise how special it was!
Back at the lodge for canapés, drinks and a
well earned dinner. We sat with Rita and
Ivan again and compared travel stories.
When I arrived at the lodge I arranged for the chef to whip James up a
small birthday cake – and we surprised Rita with a cake as well. All of the guests sung happy birthday – James
was very chuffed, he didn’t think he’d get a cake on his birthday.
After dinner, all of the guests sat around
together and one of the guides told a dreamtime story about a young boy,
Gluscabi, and the Wind Eagle. He was
very animated and every time he spoke of Gluscabi he pointed to James. All of the guests listened intently for 30
minutes with many laughs along the way.
Finally, to finish the night, we all
watched a documentary that was produced in Knight Inlet by National Geographic
and spoken by our favourite naturalist David Attenborough. The documentary was about the salmon and their
incredible journey to spawn in the exact place they were born. We also learnt why the salmon are so
important to the bears and other wildlife.
We all crawled into bed around 10pm, our alarms set for 6am to meet
breakfast at 6:30am. By 7:30am, we would
be back on the water looking for bears.
Fluffy - had been sitting up all night waiting for James
James's favourite gift - the silk pillowcase
Thank you Nanny & Pop for the card - and $$$
Sunrise at Campbell River
Our seaplane awaits
Let's do this!
Estuary tour
First bear of the day
I saw this little face looking at me
It was a misty morning...
Our guide, Jason
Oh crap - what have i done!
This is what we came for
The male bear - very unwelcome amongst the female bears
Twins!
A little club clever enough to catch a fish
Papa Bear
Bears in the background at the weir
Mother & cubs
This mother did not stop watching the male - every time he looked their way, she stepped forward!
The bears at salmon constantly
Using the weir as a table
Got it!
Triplets arrive - just as we were leaving
Our Jurassic Park bus
A third excursion was just too much for James!
Come on James - this is a once in a lifetime experience!!
Terry's new job
James fell asleep outside in the rain! One tired birthday boy
Not great pics - humpback whales. I have a new appreciation for wildlife photographers!
I moved James inside - he slept the whole way back.
Captain Will!
Birthday boy
Exhausted and asleep with his new friend, Flobby. James called him this as at the last airport, a lady asked Fluffy's name. She thought James said 'Flobby' and we have laughed about this along the way.










































Happy Birthday little Bro looks like you had a very unique birthday!! Enjoy :) love you
ReplyDelete