Today we have one full day to explore
Jasper National Park – and we were going to make the most of it. Or as our family is starting to joke, ‘get
the dollar out the day’. I woke up
feeling a lot better – thank goodness!
I’d been looking forward to Jasper so much – I’d heard there is a much
better chance of seeing wildlife than in Banff.
We all could not believe it – our habit of
sleeping until 9-10am continues! Out of bed – late again – and not on the
road until 11:30am!
The forecast was for rain - however as we left the bungalow the sun started to come out - great timing! Our first stop – Maligne Lake. We had ‘Gypsy’ with us for the trip and
learnt so much about the area as we were driving along. Terry and I couldn’t stop commenting on how
spectacular the scenery is. The photos
do come anywhere close to what we were seeing – you really have to see it to
believe it.
We arrive at Maligne Lake, ‘Does anyone want to go on the boat
cruise?’ I ask – ‘NO’ said the three boys in unison. Ok, then looked like I was out voted – let’s go
on a walk along the lake then. It was freezing and as we were walking along it
began to snow! We could hear the marmots
in the trees calling to each other to let the next marmot know people were
coming. We saw a sign warning of moose
in the area however we didn’t run into any – I am really keen to tick a moose off my list!
We then drove 100km to Miette Springs (was
thinking of you Renee and Miette!) It
was so, so cold outside however I had come so far – I was not going to miss a
chance to swim in a hot spring. The air
was 5 degrees and the water was 40 degrees – I could not convince Terry to come
in however the boys and I stayed in around 45 minutes and would have liked to
have stayed longer although we needed to continue on to Hinton after the
springs.
Feeling really refreshed, we drove another 60kms north to
Hinton for what would become the highlight of our day. We were going to the Beaver boardwalk and
timing would have us arriving in the late afternoon – the prefect time to spot
a beaver. When the kids were little we
had watched a really good movie/documentary about a beaver called ‘White Tuft’. The
kids knew a lot about beavers and we really wanted to see one. We
arrived at the boardwalk and faced a sign warning of the dangers around the
boardwalk – yikes! I don’t think I will
ever get used to the potential animal threats around!
I had read – yes, on tripadvisor – the best
part of the 3km boardwalk to spot beavers was actually the closest part to the
carpark. We quickly spotted this spot
and could see where the beavers had dammed up the water. We sat quietly, quietly, oh so quietly – I
was thinking how good was that the kids were a bit older and would sit so quiet
and so patiently – and guess what? We
were rewarded with two beavers. All of
us were so excited! The first beaver
that came out of his lodge swam over to a big log. We watched as he swam the log back to his lodge
and placed it under the water. Then his mate
swam past us – and then the other beaver followed.
We excitedly followed down the boardwalk – and then they were gone! We waited and waited – nothing more. We were guessing they went off to eat
somewhere? We started walking around the
boardwalk trying to find them but we then had to walk through woods – and we
weren’t real keen on all the cougar and bear business. We looped back around and spotted one more
beaver back the lodge – but then it disappeared too. We spoke to other tourists that had been
there hours and had not seen one. We
were the lucky ones once again! Although i could have sat there all night, it was 7pm as we had to make the long drive back to Jasper. We have driven a lot over the past few days however the scenery and wildlife is so worth it - the kids have been fantastic
in the car as well!
Athabasca River
It's snowing! Look at the colours of the trees, brown from a fire, green and the snow covered!
Maligne Lake - trying to spot a moose.
Father and son
Father and son fooling
Yep - it's snowing!
Driving to Miette Springs - and what do we see - another bear! A good distance away for my liking!
Can you spot the bear still?
These pictures do not do justice!
Taking a photo of an elk by the roadside
Taking a photo of the tourists taking a photo of the elk! There was 1 male with 8 female. Hmmm.
When you drive along and there are cars on the side, you know there is something special in sight!
A beauty
Icecream time at Miette Springs - no photo of us swimming though :)
How can this view get any better? The road goes on and on like this.
Beaver boardwalk - seeing this sign makes us a little nervous!
Ok beaver....
Come out, come out wherever you are?
Waiting patiently near the beaver lodge
The prize, the beaver!
Taking his log back
A top view of the lodge
Yes, truly one busy beaver
Successful beaver expedition!
























Ha Ha love Miette Springs!!!!!! Looks so lovely!!!!!!
ReplyDelete