Tuesday, 29 September 2015

Snake River and the incredible Grand Teton National Park

Up bright and early for the second day of the tour.  As we were leaving the cabins, one of the couples told Will there were moose down the end of our path!  I could not believe it – I was going to see my moose!  We did the quick walk down and there they were – a mother & her little moose!  I could not believe it – they were less than 20m away!  I then decided I was going to go for a better angle and I ran around the other side of the cabins.  What a start to the day!!

We then headed to Snake River for a float down the river.  The river is 1000 miles long.  The day was really chilly but perfect – not a cloud in the sky.  Fresh, crisp air.  The float was 1.5 hours and the 12 of us in the raft kept our eyes peeled for wildlife.  We saw mule deer, a cute little duck, another deer running across the river.  At one point I thought the deer was a goner – the river runs very fast – but he just made it out. 

Back on the bus and off to the Grand Teton National Park.  I could not believe what I was seeing!  It was so spectacular! We stopped for lunch at the Discovery Centre – talk about a view for lunch.  I don’t think I’ve ever loved somewhere so much!  We only had a hour and then we had to hop back on the bus.  

We arrived at the ranch and were taken straight to our chuck wagon dinner.  We had a great night sitting with the Aussies and our two families chose to walk back to the ranch.  The food though hasn’t been the best along the way – everything has sauce on it!  Back at the ranch, the campfire was burning – well there were four logs.  Peter (the Aussie) cranked up the fire by adding another dozen logs - much better!  Hey, we are in Montana – it is freezing.  The two families sat around the fire and the other guests started to join us.  I decided the Aussies should sing Waltzing Matilda much to the delight of our new (and mostly American) friends.   We spent time gazing at the stars and can now point out the Big Dipper and the North Star.  Let’s just say it was a late night around the fire and many new friendships were formed!



Dude's ranching 


My first moose! (I don't know what the plural is!)


The mother giving me the evil eye


Yay!


The moose have the best seat in the house



More danger Terry - Danger!


Team Marlborough ready to go!




James you are not falling asleep this time - no way!




One fast little duck


Mule deer


Can you see the glacier?


A beavers lodge


Run Forest Run


Incredible Cottonwoods 


 Beautiful Jenny Lake in the Grand Teton National Park


Best seat in the house for lunch


'I want to stay here all day'


James spotted this grizzly bear - and he soon had a big crowd around him!  
The bear was eating a moose carcass. 


The bear is down the bottom


At the last minute I found the Virtual Reality Oculus Rift - Will and I had a quick go.  
Wish we had more time - Will has wanted to try this....forever!



Not happy with the pics from the bus.  Starting to panic i am going to miss my shots.


Chilling on the bus to country hits - and having a laugh


Kids rule the 320 Guest Ranch


S'mores - James at five!


Beautiful Montana


Now that's how you build a fire - Aussie style!

1 comment:

  1. This tour looks amazing!!! Such beautiful scenery!!

    ReplyDelete