I have been so busy for the past few days that today is the first chance I have had to do my blog!
Our first full day in Monterey - the weather was cold, about 18-20 degrees and the sky was grey pretty much all day. Still no rain though! It dropped over 10 degrees from when we were inland.
We were on the bus nice and early and began the 17 Mile Drive. We drove past the place where John Denver’s plane went down in Monterey Bay and saw were Doris Day lives. We were also told a lot about Clint Eastwood as he lives along the 17 mile drive and was the Mayor of Carmel for a term.
We stopped by the Lone Pine for some photos and then were heading to Pebble Beach Golf Links. Terry was so excited - are we there yet, are we there yet.... The bus pulled up and Patrice out guide told us the way to the 18th hole and said she would take us there. Terry wasn’t waiting, he jumped up, ran out the bus and did a runner! I’ve never seen him run so quick! What he missed in his haste was Patrice telling everyone not to go on past the fence on the 18th as it was a strict rule that the golf club had enforced for bus tours.
I took off after him - camera in hand - "Terry, Terry wait up!" But there was no chance - he was on a mission. He kept up his run - James was running with him - turning the corner he could see the 18th hole in the distance. It was so funny - he ran and ran and ran - jumped the fence and started telling James all about the hole. Then he stood up ready for his photo to hear Patrice screaming at him, "GET OFF THE GOLF COURSE, GET OFF THE GOLF COURSE" Terry stood frozen - what was he to do? I said, "you're on there now, let's just take a pic". So a picture we took! When we went back up to the group Patrice had another go at him and Terry looked like a little kid getting in trouble. One of the kids on the tour came up to him shortly after and said, 'Wow, I've never seen an adult get in trouble off another adult before." There was only five minutes to go til the bus left so he RAN into the golf shop to buy some shirts. Even though he was a little disappointed with the time he had in the shop he managed to buy 3 shirts, golf balls and a hat! Speed shopping at it's best.
We continued our drive along the coast - we were told how the houses there were worth millions. If I had millions I wouldn't buy there - whilst i tried to appreciate how different the coastline was it is really just scrubby and not for me. Maybe if i liked golf......there were four courses there.
We were taken to the Monterey Aquarium for a behind the scenes tour which was fantastic and then left on our own to explore until we were ready to go back to the hotel.
No rest for the wicked! We then hired bikes and the four of us rode from the hotel back to the lighthouse on 17 mile drive stopping on the way to look at the sea lions. You just can't believe they are all just laying around on the beach! We spotted an otter too.
Then back to the hotel to get ready for the farewell beach party! Terry and I met with our new mate Miguel for a few drinks in the bar downstairs and then the tour was taken by bus to a restaurant by the beach. There was table tennis (the kids were stoked) volleyball, boche, pool, a bonfire and more s'mores after dinner. Terry and I sat with Anna and Miguel for dinner before going around and chatting with everyone else. I was a bit sad that it was our last night on the tour and wished we had another few more days on it!! We have met the most wonderful people and have genuinely enjoyed spending time with them. Of the 51 people on the tour there was probably only 4 people that i never really met - they liked to stick to themselves. There was not one drama within any of the people on the tour. If i think back to when the tour started and Patrice said we were going to be one big family I think i smirked. (hopefully i didn't do it aloud) I really didn't believe her but the group of people on the tour got along so great we were one happy FAMILY on tour. People went out of their way to talk with the kids too which was just fantastic, some people told us they picked the group our family was in at the aquarium just because of the kids. (Honest Mum) At one point in the night I went to look for Will and found him playing volleyball with about 9 other adults on the tour. It was so great to see how confident he was playing volleyball for the first time with people he had only just really met.
Around 9am we were told it was time to go......time to go? I was just getting started! So I started telling everyone that when we got back to the hotel to come for more drinks down at the bar. Now let's just say, i wasn't watching the time, but i knew it was getting late, as one by one people left to go to bed and it ended up being just Anna, Miguel and I with her kids asleep on a lounge in the bar - and i knew i wouldn't feel that flash in the morning........but when you're on holidays you don't get hangovers, or do you?
The Lone Pine
Didn't wait for instructions.....
Terry saw the sign
And ran!
Showing James the different cuts
Not exactly the victory pic we wanted
Terry in trouble
Jellyfish at the Aquarium
This is how Terry and I feel at the moment
I love the sealion smiling at the front
Rode all the way to the lighthouse - yay!
My mate Anna
Will and his new mate Tom. Tom just loved William!
The grog's kicked in
This is where i found Will - growing up!
No comments:
Post a Comment