The night before we visited Yosemite it was a long night. James kept waking up worried about bears - then I would worry about the bears.... oh and the mountain lions. I was really unsure about this National Park. I'd watched a Youtube video the night before about a mountain lion being not far from where we were going the next day, ok so the video was from 1996 but still.....YIKES!
We were taken to the park and had a 2 hour ride on an open air tram around Yosemite National Park. The ranger was really passionate about his job and he gave us a really interesting tour that seemed to go very quickly. We stopped at places along the way to get out of the tram to take photos. We learned a lot about the native Indians, especially the Awahneechee tribe and their culture. It is much like the Aborigines, and to me seemed really sad that their world had to change in this stunningly beautiful valley. We saw deer in the meadow and of course lots of squirrels and chipmunks and we learned about the different types of trees and their distinct smells and bark.
We had the rest of the day to explore Yosemite on our own. Our family decided to hire bikes to ride around the park - we thought it was a fun way to cover a lot of ground. Now, I have to say that even though the thought of bears around was scaring the crap out of me - i started to really want to see one.
We worked out a route that would see us go past the Ahwahnee Hotel, through to the more quiet Mirror Lake, and a loop between the camps (Lower Pines and North Pines) then back to the Yosemite Village - the only tiny flaw in this park is it isn't that well signposted - or maybe it was just us!
We first of all called into the Village to pick up a picnic lunch, then managed to end up on a different road behind the famous Awanhee hotel. Hmmmm, anyway back on track and found some really pretty areas on the way. Then we were off to Mirror lake, hmmmm, no signs - nothing lined up to the map. Guessed the way and thankfully it was right! There was a point along the way to the lake where you have to leave the bikes - we were hot so the four of us climbed down embankment to the Merced River. The kids started jumping rocks and I just knew what was going to happen - of course James fell in. No dry clothes but it was about 32 degrees so he dried off pretty quick. The water was so cool we all ended up taking off our shoes and put our feet in the cold water - such bliss on a hot day! Still no bears.
We then walked to Mirror Lake, had a look around but the water there looked a little bit stagnant so we decided to find a better place for a swim. We found a really nice part of the river, Happy Isles, and stopped there for our picnic. James and I decided to have a swim - we stepped in....the water was freezing. We got a little deeper, a little deeper, the water wasn't getting any warmer. It is melted ice after all. Then I was up to my waist and I said to James, let's just go right in so at least we can swim to warm up! Three little ducks were in the river too - Father Duck, Mother Duck and little Baby duck. They had no fear and swam right near us. After about 10 minutes we still felt frozen so we laid in the sun to warm up. Will had been on the shore the whole time digging for gold! Terry was content having a relax under the trees.
Back on the bikes, we rode through meadows, on walking tracks and still no bears.
I started thinking if i was a bear the LAST place you would choose to be in right in the middle of the park where 4 million tourists visit each year. So I didn't get to see one and I'm still kind of glad i didn't. And so is James.
We returned the bikes and then the moustache guy on our tour came running up to us - he'd just watched a deer give birth to her baby. Damn - I'd been around the whole park and didn't even see another deer! (We'd seen one on the tram ride)
Out of everywhere we've ever been to, we all agreed Yosemite has got to be the most spectacular place in the world.
We made it back to the meeting point for the 5:30pm bus back to the hotel. After 5 hours of riding, we were stuffed - but had to get ready for a highlight dinner and campfire!
The dinner was beef, pork ribs and chicken, salads and beans. They seem to eat a lot of beans here - the Mexican influence. We sat with the Puerto Rican family for dinner and had a fun night with them. After dinner there was a campfire - I'd have to say it was the first time I've been to a campfire in 30 degree heat - but we sat around the fire and made s'mores. A s'more if a traditional nighttime campfire treat consisting of a roasted marshmallow and a layer of chocolate sandwiched between two biscuits.
The tour sat around the fire and started telling ghost stories. The cider I was drinking - not to mention the few wines i'd had at dinner - had started to kick in. One of the Australian couples came up to me and suggested we sing an Australian song. I thought it was the best idea I'd ever heard! So there were the 6 Aussies, united - and slightly drunk - singing Waltzing Matilda! Now we only all knew the first verse - and of course the chorus - but we had a lot of fun singing it. The look on the kids faces was priceless. A great night was had by all!
I forgot to mention about the adapter situation - all good for a while - the Aussie couple lent us of one of their chargers and they said we could keep it for the tour!! Such a relief. Not sure what we'll do at the end of the week, I wonder if they will let us keep it?
Huge granite rocks
Most spectacular place ever
Half Dome
After the tram tour met the ranger
Look at the bark on this tree
Playing Indians
Huge trees
What do you think happened 10 seconds later.....Splash.
James sliding down a HUGE rock
Will's dinner - the biggest cheese pizza ever!
Toasting marshmallows for s'mores
Look out - the cider's kicked in
Loving the campfire stories
Waltzing Matilda!








No comments:
Post a Comment