Wednesday, 3 July 2013

I am in love with San Francisco

Has it really only been 48 hours that we have been here?

Today we got up early and headed down to Pier 33 to take the ferry to Alcatraz.  I was unsure if the kids were going to like it - hopefully they would be interested?  Would they be scared?  Bored? Or fascinated like Terry and I were?

We boarded the ferry and after a short trip we were there.  Whilst it was cool on the water, the weather here is just beautiful, about 26 degrees today.  They said it was hotter than normal for this time of year - yes Al, sunshine and rainbows wherever I go!

We did an audio tour of 'The Rock' learning all about the cells, prisoners and prison wardens.  It went for about 45 minutes and the kids were interested the whole time.  It was difficult to even imagine what it would have been like to be a prisoner on Alcatraz.  What i learned was families of the prison wardens lived on the island back when Alcatraz was a functioning penetrntiary - they had their own small community.

Tired after our morning exploring, we headed back to the hotel.  Terry chilled out in the room and the kids and I went up to the Club lounge for snacks and wi-fi.  I didn't really research San Francisco much before we left so i spent a few hours googling whilst admiring the view. The kids kept busy on the complementary PC's.  Tomorrow is 4th July so I've been looking at what to do.  Think we will go check out a parade, eat a hotdog and wave an American flag for the morning.  Perhaps dinner down at Pier 39 and stick around for the 9:30pm fireworks - if the fog stays away!

Tonight we had dinner at a restaurant close by, Perry's on the Embarcadero.  We had a table which overlooked Pier 14 and had a great view of the bridge near our hotel (not the Golden Gate but another one).  Finally got the tipping under control!  Another difference here is they call main meals, 'entrees'.
I ordered to share a 'starter' - buffalo wings.  I haven't had wings like it since they stop serving buffalo wings at the Mary Ellen over 16 years ago - so tasty and i just ate and ate and ate.  (Oh no!)

Really excited about tomorrow - the Marlborough's first - and probably last - 4th of July!  I just LOVE San Francisco - i think the next couple of days will unfortunately go fast!



Waiting to board the ferry at Pier 33


Cold on the water


Welcome to Alcatraz


Pretending they were on Tony Hawk Proskate 4 - 
they knew a lot about Alcatraz from playing it on the Playstation. 

Who would have known?


In front of cell 100 - check out the new shoes and hats!


View of the Golden Gate Bridge from Alcatraz, peaking through the fog


SF from the Island - the colours are just so different here.
The America's Cup is on soon so plenty of yachts in the Bay


Cells - 3 rows high



Getting ideas for new rules around our house.


Love this pic


Love this camera!


2 comments:

  1. I think that should be your motto for the kids.... You are entitled to food, clothing, shelter and medical attention.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the boys new shoes, very bright!

    ReplyDelete