Tuesday, 9 July 2013

Lake Mono and Yosemite! Spectacular!

Today we set off early and were travelling first to Mono Lake then onto Yosemite.  We ventured into Nevada from California for our 'restroom' stop.  As it was in Nevada - we walked in and there were pokies galore!  The boys were begging for an icecream from a service station a short walk away so I suggested Terry take them there - I was heading for the pokies!!  Had a quick go but am saving myself for Vegas.

We continued on to a place called Lake Mono.  It is an oasis in the dry Great Basin and a vital habitat for millions of migratory and nesting birds.  There is also these little fly-like insects all across the shore. Our guide asked if anyone would want to eat one of the larvae?  She then put one in her mouth.  I'm thinking NO WAY, then i heard a voice quip up and say, "I'll try one"  It was Terry - the meat and three veg man.  Stunned, I started thinking about all of the meals he won't try like risottos, asian food, even just rice.  There he was eating a disgusting, wriggling fly larvae.  He'll never live it down.

Onwards now to Yosemite - now this is the new highlight of the trip.  It has to be one of the most pristine and spectacular places I've ever been to.  As we were driving into the National Park, the tour guide was playing Pavarotti - it really did fit what i was seeing.   On the way we had watched a DVD about bears (I'm still not sure about all of this bear business) and was feeling not as worried until the tour guide passed around information sheets.  There on the animal sheet was a bear of course but also a mountain lion!!  I'd forgotten about those - oh goodness!  She assures me they only live up high away from people.  I'm not too sure about all this.

We had some free time so the Marlborough family walked up to the small Yosemite Falls - the kids had so much fun.  They climbed on so many rocks, I'd turn around to look for them and find them up the top of a huge rock.  Then they wanted to climb right to the bottom of the falls.  I couldn't let them go by themselves so I had to climb after them -  up and over huge rocks and jumping up, over and down.  So much fun but I sure don't jump like i did when i was 14.  James even offered to take the camera 'to help me'!

We were so happy to come back to the Lodge tonight - we are here two nights so don't have to worry about packing everything up in the morning. We went and had pizza and a few drinks then I took James for a swim.  Today was 34 degrees - hot but feels great.

Tomorrow we are going on an open air tram around Yosemite and then have free time from 11 till late afternoon.  Thinking of a bike ride or a raft down the river?




Bye - Our hotel in Lake Tahoe



Not the best picture but i saw this from the bus - this one's for you Bree!
'Haven't you heard of Dairy Queen?'


Hello Nevada!



Playing games on the bus - who can do the best 'O'.  James won.


Lake Mono




The little flies



The larvae Terry ate - yucko!


Half Dome in the background at Yosemite.


Where's Will?


Yosemite Falls



Where's Will now?


Climbing to the bottom of the falls


Action shots




This is as far as we are going James!




Back at the Lodge - pizza, cider and beer!

3 comments:

  1. Loving the photos of Yosemite (especially the one of the boys walking along the rock wall!) What a trip my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ren - as soon as the kids are older it is a must! You all would just love it. I love taking pics when Terry and the boys aren't looking! I don't want the trip to end! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete